Paleo Chocolate Chia Pudding
Chocolate? What’s not to love? This Chocolate Chia Pudding is so easy and so good. Unsweetened plain cocoa powder is one of my favorite foods to recommend for kids. Here’s why you should let your kids enjoy it:
- It has a good mineral profile, providing zinc, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, and copper.
- It is rich in polyphenols, which lend antioxidant power.
- It might even help you boost good cholesterol – that is, the high density lipoprotein (HDL) that helps cholesterol work healthfully in the body.
- It has an array of all macronutrients too, including protein, carbs, fiber, and fats.
- Plain cocoa powder is unsweetened and has no cane sugar – which means you can get its health benefits when you use it in all sorts of recipes.
This Chocolate Chia Pudding recipe brings together a bunch of all-good ingredients, giving you a fast easy option to store bought sugary pudding cups. Besides cocoa powder, the recipe’s chia brings the pudding texture to life while delivering its own complement of minerals (potassium, calcium, phosphorus), omega 3 fats, protein, and fiber. Full fat canned coconut milk – another go to in many of my nutrition care plans – gives high calorie, easy to digest fats that work well for a fast-access energy boost, without sugar. These fats, called medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), have an array of health benefits for heart health, weight loss, and even immune support. And good local organic honey – raw if your children are over a year old – will give antioxidants, more traces of minerals, and all the sweet you need.
For Paleo Chocolate Chia Pudding, just blend ingredients and chill – it will set in 1-3 hours. I’ve had some batches set quickly, while others take longer – in that case, I’ll add an extra spoonful of chia and give it another hour or more to set.
- 1 can organic full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup good quality organic honey
- 1/4 cup plain unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch organic plain stevia powder (optional for extra sweetness)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- In a blender, food processor, or with hand mixer, combine all ingredients but the chia seeds. Process until texture is smooth and all ingredients are evenly blended.
- Fold in chia seeds, so that they are evenly distributed throughout the pudding mixture. Cover and place in refrigerator until firm.
- If pudding hasn't set after two hours, stir in 1 more tablespoon chia seeds and allow another hour for it to set.