If you are baking a fresh butternut squash for this recipe, start this about 90 minutes before you want the dish ready.
– Slice the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds, and place face down in a glass ovenproof dish with 1/2 inch of water in it. Use two dishes if needed.
– Place in a 400 degree oven and bake x 1 hour, til a knife poked through the skin moves easily through the squash.
– Once baked soft, remove the squash from oven. Scoop the baked squash out of its skin – an ice cream scoop works well for this task. You may want to wear silicone oven mitts too, as the squash will be very hot, or simply let it cool enough to handle.
– Scoop it into a mixing bowl or food processor. Add the ghee (or butter), honey, and dash of salt. Blend til ghee/butter melts through and all ingredients are evenly mixed. Set aside, keeping the squash warm.
– If using canned squash, heat it in microwave or on stove top, add ghee, honey and salt, and set aside.