Chocolate Shake That’s Actually GOOD For Your Kids
Most kids love chocolate, or, at least, chocolate milk. Using an elimination diet doesn’t mean they can’t have something even better. In fact, chocolate – or specifically, cocoa and cacao – are so full of health benefits that keeping them in rotation is a good idea. You can do that, and lose the milk protein allergens, plus the sugary low (no?) value stuff that’s in organic chocolate milk, not to mention any number of processed, GMO ingredient drinks like Muscle Milk, Boost, Ensure, or Pediasure. Yuck.
Go one better. Way better. Use a blender, VitaMix, or any strong and efficient machine to blend this all up. Let your kids experiment with ingredients they like. Cocoa powder tastes great with all sorts of other ingredients, from turmeric root (peeled fresh raw) to sesame tahini or sunflower butter to the old stand by, peanut butter. Use organic unsweetened plain cocoa powder to get the health benefits your kids deserve. Skip the store-bought, sugar-added stuff. You can sweeten to taste with better options! And, even if you’re using a pre-sweetened product like chocolate flavored grass fed collagen peptides to mix with your milk substitute, it will have a better texture if you use a blender rather than try to mix it with a spoon.
If you must buy a dairy and soy free packable version for school lunches, check out these favorites of mine (I have no affiliate relationship with these products. I just like them): Rebbl Chocolate Protein; check other Rebbl flavors here.
|2 8 oz servings||8 minutes|
Make it as chocolate-y as your kids like. This version is big on fruity, full chocolate flavor. Experiment with all sorts of additions! Pictured here is cocoa with turmeric root and flax.
- 1/3 cup crushed ice
- 10-12 oz plain unsweetened milk alternative (GF Oatly, almond milk, flax milk, cashew milk)
- 2 TBSP full fat canned coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons Brain Octane oil or MCT oil
- 1 scoop unflavored grass-fed collagen peptides (~2 Tablespoons)
- 3 TBSP organic cocoa powder
- 2 heaping TBSP nut or seed butter of choice (almond butter, sesame tahini, peanut butter, or Nutzo)
- 2 TBSP raw cacao nibs
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 1 banana (optional)
- 5-8 drops organic stevia in glycerite (or powdered organic stevia ~ 1/8 tsp)
- honey or maple syrup (optional)
- Place crushed ice in bottom of blender, then add ingredients in order listed.
- Blend on high speed til thoroughly blended and nibs are reduced to flecks rather than chunks.
- Add honey, maple syrup, or more stevia to taste and blend again. Pour and enjoy!