Chicken Curry With Green Beans And Potatoes
Don’t be daunted by the longish ingredient list – it’s mostly spices, which are worth picking up at a better bulk spice shop. Turmeric, curry, and cumin give immune supportive compounds and warming flavors to this recipe, so feel free to use them liberally, along with healthful garlic and ginger. Once the chopping is done, this recipe is a one pot dinner that is easy to make. Serve with rice, quinoa, or cauli-rice. Vary the vegetables in this dish as much as you like. Another good combination is to use sweet potato with chard or beet greens, or orange or yellow bell pepper with breadfruit. Options are as varied as your imagination!
- 2 lbs chicken boneless breasts or thighs, cut in 1" cubes
- 1/2 lb green beans cut in 3" lengths
- 3 large potatoes cut in 1" cubes
- 2 inches fresh ginger root peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch fresh turmeric root peeled and minced
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1 14-15 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk canned whole unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 TBSP Thai Red Curry Paste
- 2 TBSP cumin
- 2 TBSP curry powder
- 1 TBSP turmeric powder
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2-4 TBSP coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro stemmed and chopped
- 1 TBSP raw honey or coconut sugar
- Mix powdered dry spices: Cumin, curry powder, turmeric root, salt, and paprika and set aside.
- Melt coconut oil in large skillet that is 3-4 inches deep. Add minced onion, garlic, ginger root, and turmeric root, and cook on medium heat until softened but not brown.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth, and turn up heat to bring to a steady simmer. Add potatoes. Option: You may instead microwave your chopped potatoes until soft, then add them to the skillet, to make this part faster.
- Add green beans, coconut milk, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add dry spices, red curry paste, and honey or coconut sugar. Mix well, and continue cooking for 10 more minutes.
- Just before serving, add cilantro and stir through. Serve curry over rice or quinoa.
Share this Recipe